Selection of images of combined lamp work and blown glass pieces.
In 2015 I made pair of macaw’s for the top of a wedding cake.
Images are taken by willfullerphotography.com
Series of blown tri-coloured vessels with a sculptural formation within.
Molten clear glass is gathered from a furnace on a hollow blowing iron, it is shaped into a small pointed bubble, colour is then added and more clear glass is gathered over the top.
The membrane is then put in to give a double chambered form. More glass is then added before being shaped and transferred onto a solid iron, to allow to top of the piece to be finished.
Once the vessel is complete it is placed within an electrically controlled annealing oven (lehr) to cool over night. The work will be removed the following morning and ‘cold finished’ to remove sharp edges and finish the piece.
Various images documenting some of my early work as well as my new pieces.
For a friends wedding I was asked to make a glass topper for one of the cakes. The flowers were hydrangea flowers with dragonflies and the colours green and blue. It was my first multi piece work made on a framework under the flowers.
This was my first large scale borosilicate figurative work. Each measured approximately 70-100mm high. Each is made from solid glass rods sculpted within the flame, the pink colouring is done hot with a the technique Gold fuming. Where 24ct Gold is held in the flame, where it burns off and settles on the glass further back in the Flame. The Grey colouring I added after when the piece had cooled using a grey ceramic lustre painted on and fired into the surface.
I had 34 figures to create in total, 3 categories Canoe, Kayak and Double Canoes. 1st, 2nd and 3rd places and age group prizes for all three categories. Colour was added using Lustres, Mother of Pearl, Gold, Platinum and Copper.
I had only been making borosilicate glass for a few months when I had a request for a wedding anniversary gift. They said the sort of thing they liked and what would be best for them. The Penguins measure approximately 50-80mm tall, colour was added using a grey and platinum lustre which was then fired onto each each. They were then mounted on to a Quartz Crystal Base.